Monday, January 21, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name...


I have a Hawaiian name. Kapuananiokalaniakea – beautiful blossom of the wide heavens. Pronounce every vowel, and you’ve got it.

Hawaiian tradition says you must use a person’s full name. Addressing someone using an abbreviated portion of her name is thought to also abbreviate the person.
I am a whole person. I deserve a whole name.

Makes sense, except…look at my name! It’s twelve syllables long! It’s too much for standard American tongues.
So I shorten it to Puanani – beautiful blossom. Which gets shortened to Pua – blossom. Which gets shortened to Pu.

Pu?!
    1. Polite name for awful, smelly stuff you step in and need to scrape off the bottom of your shoe when you’re out walking in the park

    2. A muddle-headed bear who lives in the Hundred Acre Woods.

    3. Pee-yew!

    4. General name for a pumpkin or a squash. (Hawaiian Dictionary definition)

Hmm.
Perhaps it's time to re-examine tradition.

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Stick with Lala. Can't go wrong!

Wanda said...

Every Hawaiian name needs to have a minimum of two syllables. Don't you think?

By the way--what would "Lala" mean in Hawaiian?

Amber said...

Pua is nice! Blossum. That's pretty.

:)

Michelle O'Neil said...

Pu will never do.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Pu will never do.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love your name. Are you from Hawaii originally?

My husband lived there for many years and considers it home. Unfortunately, I have only been able to visit the islands.