Friday, January 11, 2008

BE Kind


No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. - Voltaire

It is so easy to point fingers and say "It's not my fault!". I am discovering, though, that it is ALL my fault -- and not in a bad way.
It's all my fault in a good, we're all in this together kind of way. Every word I speak, every thought I think, every action I take, is a pebble dropped in a mirror smooth mountain lake, the ripples reaching far beyond what my eyes can see.

Thich Naht Hanh says that, "It is not by going out for a demonstration against nuclear missles that we can bring about peace. It is with our capacity of smiling, breathing, and being peace that we can make peace."
I love that! Not being peace-ful, but being peace.

I thought of this when I heard about a new project on which Claudia is working. It is a new blog called Everyday Kindness that challeges us to be kind.

To commit one act of kindness every day.

Simple.
No big statements to make.
No huge rallys to attend.
No letters of protest to write.
Just be kind.

I've decided to accept the challenge.
I've decided to drop at least one pebble of kindness in my pond every day.
Just think what a difference we could make if everybody did the same.

5 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I'm down with that!

Be true love.

Be kind.

Let's do it.

Kind Claudia said...

I love your post! Thank you for joining us! :) We are small but growing. If anyone would like to join our little group, feel free to email me at everydaykindness@gmail.com. I'll add you to the blogroll.

Welcome!

Wanda said...

Walk the walk. Much more potent than talking the talk.

Nancy said...

I have goose bumps!

I just read this on the door to the pediatricians office this morning..
Thich Naht Hanh says that, "It is with our capacity of smiling, breathing, and being peace that we can make peace."

WOW...to see it again here on your post settles this message deep within me.

I am working on being peace.

Jerri said...

Brilliant. One pebble of kindness in the pond, every day.

Check. I'm on board.