Saturday, January 26, 2008

Horse of a Different Color


I woke up at 5:30 this morning and have spent the past five hours drifting in and out of dreams, cruising the blogoshpere and talking myself out of going to two different Bikram yoga classes.

I LOVE YOGA!
LUH-UV YOGA!

I love…
    the purging
    the moving meditation
    the way it stretches the muscles that I didn’t even know I have
    the way it stretches the muscles that I did know I have
    the way it warms my body
    the way it warms my soul
    the clarity that comes after a particularly good class
    the sense of well-being
    the utter exhaustion
    the complete calm
    the annoyingly repetitive, constantly droning voice of the instructor that gives me the SAME instructions at EVERY class that I somehow hear for the very first time on my 150th class
    the feeling of accomplishment I get when I can hold a posture until the instructor says “change”
    the hour and a half that is MINE
    the connection of all that is within me
    the connection with all that is outside of me

I LOVE YOGA!

I don’t love the going to yoga part. And clearly, I don’t do it very well.
Once I’m there, I’m fine.
But getting there…now that’s where that horse of a different color rears his colorful head.

That’s where he tells me that I have time to do just one more quick thing before I get ready to go. I fall for it every time and it is never just one more quick thing.
Or where he convinces me that I deserve to stay in my warm, cozy, comforter cocoon and I can just catch a later class, that I miss because I am busy doing that one more quick thing.
Or where he says that I’ve been to yoga three days in a row so missing today will be okay.
Or where he badgers me into serving my children’s irrational needs and insists that they must be fulfilled at exactly the same time as yoga class is offered.

I have one more shot at getting to yoga today.
I’m going to lock that mythical horse in the equally mythical barn and see if I can make it to class.

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Wanda said...

Go for me, too...will ya?

molly said...

....and slap a mythical muzzle on him while you're at it!
I used to go to a yoga class back when I was still in the child-rearing trenches, and every week,as I tried to get out the door to my class, someone would urgently need me. I was always the last one skidding in,red-faced, to quickly lie down on my mat. After a few of those wonderful deep, deep breaths I frequently fell asleep. And only became aware I had done so when I heard the bustle of everyone around me gathering up their things! I'll never know now if I snored during the class. I sure hope not. I do know that I came home rested....

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Luck!

I am particularly good at finding "good" reasons not to do "good" things, so if you need any of those, just holler!

jen said...

I have this same problem wit going to the gym or on a run. The winter time is especially difficult because I love to be warm and just thinking about getting into a cold car and driving to the gym frightens me.

Michelle O'Neil said...

This post is me! I have been meaning to go for two months!