Thursday, August 21, 2008

He Listens


I work with survivors of domestic violence. Studies show that our culture perpetuates the image of the macho man and that anger is often the only emotion that a man feels comfortable expressing.

I like to think that our generation is working to change that. That we are raising, and have raised, our sons to be more than angry men.

I do not kid myself that we will wipe out domestic violence, but this story gives me hope that we are making headway.


A young girl breaks up with her boyfriend. She goes home and screams her anguish to the walls. She is inconsolable.

She thinks that she is alone, but her teen-aged brother is there. He is fixing himself some lunch in the kitchen. When he hears her, he immediately stops what he is doing and he goes upstairs to check on his sister.

The door to her bedroom is open wide. He knocks tentatively on the doorframe.
The girl sees him and she begins to cry to him all of her sadness and frustration.
He listens, though he can barely understand her words through her tears.
He listens, though he cannot even imagine the kind of heartache his sister is experiencing.
He listens, though her hurt makes him uncomfortable and he feels awkward and inadequate.

He listens because he loves her.

He listens, and he tells her, “I don’t know what to say, but I am here and I can listen for as long as you need.”
And he leans his lanky body against the doorjamb and she sobs him her story.

And he offers no advice.
And he doesn't try to fix it.

He just listens.

And that is more than enough.
It is everything.

And she is consoled.

I could not be more proud of OS.

7 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh, honey. You have every reason to be proud of OS...and all the other Ds and Ss, too.

My, how you can write! I LOVE reading your words.

Nancy said...

Beautiful story. Beautifully written.

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Wanda,
Thank you! And I am proud of all my Ds and Ss -- they never cease to AMAZE me!

Nancy,
Thank you. I am blessed to have the story to tell!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto Wanda and Nancy - you've done a wonderful job with OS, and all the other Ds and S, too. This is the proof.

molly said...

That's what men need to understand. That they don't always have to fix it. Sometimes just listening is enough. Sounds like you have succeeded in teaching your son that. Good for both of you, and his heartbroken sister!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Carrie,
Thank you. It is nice when the Ds and Ss step up the way I had hoped they would and yet, it always surprises because they do it so much better than I ever dreamed they would. I DO love those Ds and Ss!!

Molly,
I think OS wanted to do more than listen, he just didn't know how. I made sure to tell him that just listening was perfect. OD and I are blessed.

Deb,
Yes...wow! I must say, OS surprised me -- and OD, who made sure to share the story with me. "I just wanted you to know," she said, "that your teenaged son did a really good job and it really helped!"