Sunday, October 19, 2008

Proper Medical Care

OD called me. She's worried about a weird rash on her back and she wants me to make an appointment for her with her doctor. I gloss over the facts that she doesn't live with me, that I don't know her daily schedule and that she knows exactly how to make her own appointments.

I don't remind her of these things because I am over the top excited about the fact that, after years of no primary care physician and months of searching, I have found a doctor.
She is a naturopath and she is fabulous!
She listens to me.
She makes suggestions that are non-invasive and fairly easy to accomplish.
She works with accounting to make sure that I am billed in such a way so as to make the most of my medical insurance coverage.
I can’t say, “I love her!” loudly nor often enough.

I tell all this to OD and ask if she wouldn’t rather see my doctor.
I suggest it because OD’s doctor, is a pediatrician.
A wonderful woman who has held our hands through years of ear infections, bouts of the flu, chicken pox, strep throat, tonsillitis, warts, mono and any other of a number of childhood illnesses. We have relied on her through all of it, and she has never let us down, but, at nineteen, many of OD’s ailments are no longer really within the realm of a pediatrician’s expertise.
I point this all out to OD.

OD shakes her head into the phone, “No thanks,” she flips.

“Why?” I plead. “You’d really like her.”

“Because she’s a naturopath.” OD says this in a sing-song, Valley-girl lilt, as though no further explanation is needed.

“Uh-huh...?”

OD sighs. “A naturopath will want me to change my diet, which I already know is bad, or take herbs, which take too long to do anything, or give up tanning, which will never happen…I jut want some good ol’ western medicine that will give me a pill or a cream and push that rash right back down where it came from.”

LOVE that girl.
LOVE her self-awareness.
LOVE her honesty.

OD will be visiting her pediatrician next week…and she made her own appointment.

5 comments:

Wanda said...

I agree with the fabulous Carrie Wilson Link: You are fun-NEE. Love you. Love your daughter. Love the honest exchange. Love.

Anonymous said...

We all want the quick fix, don't we, especially when we're young. I'm learning to appreciate slow as I get older.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I agree with Wanda that Carrie Wilson Link is fabulous! : ) No, really, you are, you are FUUUUNNNNNYYYY! This made me giggle, and I can't tell you how much I needed to giggle just now!

You and OD have a great thing going on, not enough can be made of your open communication - really.

Nancy said...

I just found your blog. The funny thing is my daughter who is graduating from Portland State this summer, is considering going to school to be a naturopath. There happens to be a very school right there in Portland.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I would love to find a good naturopath, too.

Don't most pediatricians cut patients off at age 19? She must have a special fondness for your daughter, who sounds adorable.