Monday, October 20, 2008

Boundaries


JustMehas been talking about boundaries lately.
What she talks about strikes so close to the bone. I want to stick my fingers in my ears and scrunch my eyes tightly shut and yell, “la-la-la-la – I can’t hear you!”

The problem is, I hear all too well.

I hear my personal boundaries crashing all around me.
And, I have to admit that often, I am the one who is leading the charge to dismantle them.

So I ask myself why and, as if by magic, my friend Wanda emails me, providing me with both the answer and the inspiration.

Bitchology

When I stand up for
myself and my beliefs,
they call me a
bitch.

When I stand up for
those I love,
they call me a
bitch.

When I speak my mind, think my own thoughts
or do things my own way, they call me a
bitch.

Being a bitch
means I won't
compromise what's
in my heart.
It means I live my life MY way.
It means I won't allow anyone to step on me.

When I refuse to
tolerate injustice and
speak against it, I am
defined as a
bitch.

The same thing happens when I take time for
myself instead of being everyone's maid, or when I
act a little selfish.

It means I have the courage and strength to allow
myself to be who I truly am and won't become
anyone else's idea of what they think I 'should'
be.
I am outspoken,
opinionated and determined. I want what I want and
there is nothing wrong with that!
So try to stomp on me,
try to douse my inner flame, try to squash every
ounce of beauty I hold within me.
You won't succeed.

And if that makes me a bitch,
so be it.
I embrace the title and
am proud to bear it.

B - Babe
I - In
T - Total
C - Control of
H - Herself

B = Beautiful
I = Intelligent
T = Talented
C = Charming
H = Hell of a Woman

B = Beautiful
I = Individual
T = That
C = Can
H = Handle anything


Woo hoo!
Just the kick in the rear I needed.

I'm reclaiming my boundaries and re-introducing them to the people in my life.
And if they want to tell me I’m being bitchy, they certainly have that right. And I have the right to be a Bitch In Training Clearly Hearing herself and striving to be a Beacon of intelligence Totally Centered and Honoring of herself.
What kind of bitch will you be?

12 comments:

Wanda said...

I like this one: "Beacon of Intelligence Totally Centered and Honoring of herself."

Oh, the process. Boundaries do get easier...when practiced. And you know--menopause really helps. Menopausal women do not suffer fools gladly--or any other way for that matter.

Wanda said...

PS - I love that shot!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Okay. LOVE this!!!!! I'll be a BITCH with you!!! Promise!!! No accidents that Wanda sent that when she did, that was when you were ready to receive it!

I'll be a Boundary Initiating Teacher of Clarity and Healing!

Nancy said...

L.O.V.E. this!!! Now I will contemplate all day exactly what my personal BITCH means. Thank You for this perspective.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Love.

: )

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Beautiful post..!
Just discovered your blog - love it -
Now, I know Christmas is a long way off; but, I just couldn't wait...

I'm in the midst of gift-wrapping an extremely early Christmas present for all my delightful favourite bloggers -
it'll be ready this evening -
so, if you'd like to pop by my blog anytime after that,
you may pick it up and enjoy..:)

meggie said...

Just the post I needed to see! I have been accused lately, & have felt indignant. I too, am entitled to BE!

Ask Me Anything said...

This is the kind I'm going for:

Being of Inner Total Calm is Here

meili_lo said...

nice! didn't realize that i'm one too! hihi... first time for me to see myself that way :o)

saw u in meggie's blog... hope to exchange links with if it's ok. do visit my blog and hoping u can share ur thoughts. would be glad to hear what a fellow bitch has to say...:-)

http://any-some-every-thing.blogspot.com/

thanks!

Susan O'Neil said...

Would love to be waking up in Portland tomorrow. . . or anytime soon. And definitely will be waking up a BITCH. Finally at 43 reclaiming what I knew and owned at 17--bitchology. Thanks for the poem.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This is great!!! I have always had troubles with boundaries because I didn't believe I had the right to them. I am going to copy this poem and hang it over my desk as a reminder.

Thank you!! Bitches of the world, unite.

SE'LAH... said...

if you please email me your mailing address asap, i'll see if there are more who sign up in the next few hours.