Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Up, Up and Away


My children are dribbling back to school this week.

OS started today.

This morning, he drove off for his last, first day of high school.

Drove off!
Without me!

This summer he finally found the time to get his driver’s license. His original life plan had him getting his license on his 16th birthday, but real life consumed him and the driver’s license window did not open for him until late June, more than a month after his 17th birthday. The delay turned out to be a good thing for him and he passed the test with flying colors on the very first try!

I was delirious with excitement at the prospect of having another driver in the house and I quickly bought us a second taxi.
OS and I chose a 1987 Mitsubishi Montero with a manual transmission – a sturdy, reliable, macho machine that had lived life as a tow behind vehicle. The original faded brown interior produced frown lines in OS’ otherwise pristine forehead, but a gear head friend assured him that the engine was in exceptional condition, even for a car half its age and that the cosmetic part would be a piece of cake.
The two of them have been busily “fixing” the car which OS has affectionately named, “the Beast”.

It’s not quite done, but it’s drivable.
And this morning, he drove it!
To school!
Alone.

For his LAST, first day!

Freed at last from the shackles of chauffeuring, I felt curiously unhinged.
My boy is growing up and away.
Too fast.

OS rolled down the driveway and I heard him grind the gears into neutral as he tried to make a statement by peeling off down the street. The engine roared, but the Beast remained at a standstill. OS whined the car into first and bucked into the start of a new school year.
His last school year at home.

I turned with a smile to finish getting ready for work and silently thanked the Beast for slowing my boy down…just a bit…to give me a chance to catch up.

5 comments:

Wanda said...

I love your way with words. Congratulations to OS and to you. You have been a marvelous team...and will continue to be one--just in a different gear.

Nancy said...

We are bookends on opposite coasts! I too sent Tyler for his last first day of high school. He too, put off the license thing and will be taking the test this fall (post 17!) I, too, and grateful for the little things that slow them down as I cannot keep up with how fast they are growing!

molly said...

This made me LAUGH! It reminded me of how my youngest totalled my car, which I'd been sharing with him, in our driveway, no less! We found a second hand car to replace it. But it was a stick shift, which I prefer. But he'd never driven a stick shift. And of course he was supremely confident that it would be as easy as falling off a log....after all, if mom can do it......He grinded gears and the car bucked and bounced all the away down the driveway. I cringed. He cringed, and hoped no-one he knew was passing by. He had planned on such a cool, smooth inaugural flight! A little humility is a good thing!

And it's going to water your eyes how fast they grow up and move on. Savour this last year with him!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ahhhh... so well said!

love.

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Wanda,
Thank you. I just hope we're in the correct gear!

Nancy,
Good luck to Tyler. It's funny how they are young men and little boys all at the same time.

Molly,
In the driveway?! Can't wait to hear that story!

Carrie,
Right back atcha.